Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Oh the bath...

I can't remember the last time I took a bubble bath… perhaps that was why I saw a need to have one tonight? I bathed all the way until I was like 12 and then it was strictly showers from then on in. Suddenly the idea of sitting in water to cleanse one self wasn't appealing anymore. Plus, depending on the shape of your bathtub or the length of your body, it is always awkward to lie in; one portion of your body always gets cold (of course there could be some kind of technique to elegantly lying in a bathtub, if you know of one please let me know).
When I picture a bubble bath, I picture a feminine woman, with her hair tied up, sitting amongst bubbles and reading a book perhaps a glass of wine and candles if one sees fit? Nonetheless, I run the water: 1. I don't have bubble bath; body wash will have to do. 2. I don't know of many women who consider their naked self to be very elegant and feminine? 3. Hair is tied up, not as I'd pictured but who knows the difference? 4. I soon realize it is extremely difficult to have all your limbs immersed in water and still manage to keep your hands dry enough to hold a book. 5. I despise wine. The smell as my nose is about to enter a glass tells me of my mista
ke before I make it. 6. No candles, who am I kidding?
So I sit, and I sit…. The only sound is the annoying sound that bubbles make. Is there onomatopoeia for the sound that bubbles make? I'd say it closely resembles the sound of Rice Krispies. A bath is a very secluded form of solitude, one without distraction (if you have already soaked your book that is). Now I am someone who likes to be alone, and I found myself to be bored… quite soon. What to do, what to do? I then begin remembering all the games that I would play in the bath as a child, and it's hard not to smile. Was it really that long ago? I remember when the bubbles weren't just a means to cover yourself up with but a toy sprung from your child-like creativity. You could blow them from your hands and create magic, or place them on your face to make a beard (come on don't try to say you've never done it).

Where has that child-like creativity gone? I believe it is prematurely put away while we try to grow up too fast. I believe it's somewhere in the cluster of our "mature" imaginations (if such a thing exists) under a muster of dust waiting to be reborn. And one day it will I'm sure, that is one of the main roles of children in our lives is it not? After all this reminiscing with myself I realize some time has passed, the bubbles have all faded away and all that's left is me... It isn't until then that I can grasp why people like to take baths.

No comments: