I am getting sad to leave. I was just thinking about how this kind of traveling not only brings experience and satisfies you in a way that you can’t even describe, but it instills in you a longing to further know the world and to really understand it. I long to see more of the world; to meet its people and learn of their ways. There is just something about being immersed in a culture so completely that you begin to see its beauty in ways you otherwise would not had you not the chance to look at it with a new set of eyes. It is so easy to just look at the way people dress in Canada and dismiss them as a certain type of people or stereotype them as a culture, whereas here, where you are the outcast, you begin seeing them as people and their individuality and beauty are striking in ways you might just have overlooked before.
This trip was well worth it; the experiences, lessons and people that I met were priceless and I will never forget this. I learned that I can go across the world by myself and adapt to the lifestyle and situations around me quite easily. I learned what it means to “live simply”. I learned more about the word “privilege”. I was reminded to focus on my main goals, to continue to do good, and to not lean on my own understanding. I was forced to step out of my comfort zone time and time again and try new things. I discovered new strengths and weaknesses in myself, and found some things to work on in the future. I learned to love greater and that I can easily love and be loved by others. I learned that I was designed to show mercy and to help, and where that will take me I don’t really know but I am excited to see what my next adventure is and whatever else is in store for my future. And finally, probably one of the hardest lessons to learn was that the things that break your heart and the things that bring you joy can very well be the same and that you really do need a little of one to truly appreciate the other. I have been so blessed to go where I have gone and experience what I have at my age. I have been blessed with my freedom, my affluence and by having many who love me and I learned that it is important to find balance in it all. I really hope these lessons stick with me as I got back to my life and that I don’t just get swept up into the wrath of materialism. There is just so much more out there in the world to engross yourself in that can enrich you, teach you, stretch you and challenge you; so many more things to see and learn and embrace.
I have gained a heart for the world and have hardly even seen a fraction, but I am so thankful for the experiences I have attained so far and know that this longing will only continue to grow on me and this is exciting, as I await the many other experiences my life will have to offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment