Friday, October 30, 2009

Dirty Job

Don’t think I don’t see you
dirt glazed cheeks and
tethered minimalist cloth
Oh, I see you
Squatting there
nimble fingers plucking
for hard-earned meager pay

I see myself in the decaying
sores on your feet,
your emaciated limbs and
deeply sunken eyes
I do not feel guilty for what I do -
how I afflict you.
Your endurance
overtakes me;
you are resilient it seems
but in the end I will win.
I always do.

I live in the water molecules
creating your disease
I dwell in the hunger-infused
howls of your children
I strip away your dignity;
penetrate your mind so
you believe it’s your fault

In the darkness, I swiftly crawl
thieving your possessions;
no one suspects me.
How could you, in your simple minded state?
I pocketed your curiosity and
opportunities for higher thought

I know what you think of me
You think I conspire to beat you down
to bring upon you a wretched existence
while I stand by and gloat
You’re wrong; I’m just doing my job.
Someone has to do it.

No comments: